Saturday, January 21, 2012

Milliners Invade Hollywood: Part Four

It's time to take a look at more fun and fabulous hats but you'll have to excuse Shirley. I caught her during laundry day so she doesn't have a thing to wear.  

Anna Sten looks pretty in her floral hat.  Shirley: "All of that smoking has made her all hunched over and neck less!"...." Is that one of those PSA's against smoking?"  

Carole Lombard is sizzling hot today!   Shirley: "She's giving Clark Gable her bedroom eyes!"  OH, Where  did you ever hear that phrase?  Shirley: "William Powell!.."I think he's seen it before too."

Ann Harding is so chic! Shirley: "She matches the dog!..Her ears are telling us that she's hungry."

Greta Garbo loved her hats and this one is just lovely on her.  Shirley: "Somebody needs a nap or she's just trying to look sleepy so she can be left alone."  Or, she just came from visiting Barbara Lamarr's dressing room.  "I don't know what that means."  And you won't! We don't have time for a PSA on opiates.

Barbara Stanwyck can pull off a very large hat.  Shirley: "It's hard to notice with that sickly rodent sitting on her shoulder but at least it's well trained."  This is why I'll be doing my fur series alone.  

Brenda Joyce looks just fine in feathers doesn't she Shirley?  Shirley: "She stuck a feather in her hat and called it matrimony."  That sounds about right..Are your clothes dry yet?

I just love Bette Davis in anything so her beaded beanie is spot on.  Shirley: "She looks sad so I think she was waiting on husband #2 to notice her."  I'm guessing Joan Crawford walked by right before the photo was taken.  Shirley: "Is Ms. Crawford coming?....Is she here?...I've got to find clothes, sit up straight and act like a good little girl... Oh, I'm afraid!"  

Loretta Young is one of my favorites and, obviously she can pull anything off.  Shirley: "She's a picnic...and ever since she heard Mr. Gable likes fruit she's been walking around this way."  I think those are radishes so she might be waiting awhile!  

Joan Crawford was the Queen of hats! I would wear that dress today.  Shirley?   Shirley?  I guess we'll move along since Shirley seems to have disappeared.

Louise Brooks is always flawless.  Shirley: "Is she gone?"   Is who gone?  Shirley: "Ms. Crawford!" Yes, but she said something about inviting you over for a play date as she left.  Shirley: "I won't go!"..."Louise has a lot of jewelry...that means she has lots of Admirals!"  Guessing you mean admirers.  Shirley: "No! Admirals and a few Generals."  It's always nice to support the troops. Nothing wrong with that! 

Ginger Rogers..such a beauty! Shirley: "She looks like she fell in a patch of mistletoe!"  Sounds painful!  Shirley: "And stupid!...I think she needs glasses."  Well, at least it wasn't laundry day.

Norma Shearer is flawless today!  Shirley: "She should wear hats all of the time!".."Did you see her hair in "The Women"?  Good one Shirley!

Well, we managed to get through another round! Time to get Shirley dolled up and ready for her play date. Oh, this should be fun!  We'll see you all next time.
Page









4 comments:

  1. "Greta Garbo loved her hats and this one is just lovely on her. Shirley: "Somebody needs a nap or she's just trying to look sleepy so she can be left alone." Or, she just came from visiting Barbara Lamarr's dressing room. "I don't know what that means." And you won't! We don't have time for a PSA on opiates." Priceless! I may be just afraid of Shirley as she is of Crawford, but she is hilarious! Enjoyed reading all your descriptions, but loved the Garbo one the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Thee's no controlling Shirley..being a kid and all but I'm glad you're getting a laugh out of this series.
      Thanks for commenting.
      Page

      Delete
  2. Good Heavens! What was the idea behind that topper on Ginger Rogers?

    I saw Ann Harding in a movie yesterday wherein she played a milliner. "The Life of Vergie Winters" is an old fashioned weeper with an interesting cast that pushed the right buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW,
      I haven't seen "The Life of Vergie Winters" Sounds interesting though. I've been trying to watch more of Ann Harding's films. I did get her autograph recently . Thrilled about that.

      I really don't know what that thing is on Ginger's head. half turbin half flower wig with an attached collar.
      Page

      Delete